Another excting side project, the golden idol from the raiders of the lost ark, I came by this via a friend who claimed it was a cast taken from a 2nd/3rd generation mould! But it was in a bad way so I'm restoring it for him and casting some new ones.
The first three pictures are of the raw model freshly primed before restoration. The last picture is the idol ready to have the first half of its silicone mould poured after numerous cycles of sanding and filling.
Time to get to the real meat of the project, Buildings! I've started with the Tudor pub, 'the blue boar inn'.
As you can see, the main infrastructure is laser cut acrylic ready to be clad. It's been sprayed black to prevent light leaks but will eventually be lined with foil tape. Then we come to the roof, more specifically the tiles, even more specifically all 3,500 of them, each needing to be hand laid...
Arguably the second most important feature of a dingy Victorian street is the cobbles! After taking a trip to Christchurch for some research I ordered 750 beads from China...
The rather vibrant beads made the perfect cobbles and even had a stony texture to them from the wood/cheap paint. After laying them out and giving the section of road a slight bow, I made a mould in silicone before casting multiple ones in fast cast (PU resin) and sticking them together. The results I feel are quite splendid.
I like to have separate side projects on the go to keep me motivated and here's one I thought i'd share with you.
Need I say more? Fans will know immediately and the rest of you will know soon enough. For those wondering, this is oak veneer laser etched on to.
So a little more progress on the street- what would a Victorian street be without one of its most iconic residents, the gas lamp!
These little lamps stand a little over 12cm tall and contain micro 1.5mm LEDs. The main body is a hollow tube while the rest is actually 3D printed from my own .STL files that you can see in the last picture.
The copper coloured hexagonal lamp is to be positioned over the pub door.
My current project is a 1:25 Victorian street, so you'll be seeing a lot of updates pertaining to that! This street is intended to be used as a film miniature so detail/ accuracy and scale are key!
A few little hints of the first building here or rather a BIG one if you read the first picture. The door and sign were both laser etched and painted with acrylic paint.
I've started some brick work test pieces as seen to the left, these are actually made by squishing car body filler into rectangular holes and roughing them up a bit!
Stay tuned for more updates.